Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I have driving lessons from a professional driving instructor?
- A professional driving instructor...can provide you with skills and awareness of not only preparing you for your driving test, but ensuring that you learn to drive safely and responsibly.
- A professional driving instructor... is sensitive to the needs of learners and have the training and ability to ensure that your individual driving needs are met.
- A professional driving instructor... provides a car specially equipped for the teaching process.
- A professional driving instructor...can help to overcome the problems that many family and friends teaching new and learner drivers can encounter.
- Learner drivers (aged under 25 years old) who complete a one hour driving lesson with a fully licensed NSW driving instructor can record three hours driving experience in their Learner driver log book - up to 10 hours. So if you pay for 10 hours of lessons, you accumulate 30 hours in your log book.
- Professional driving tuition is an investment for a lifetime of safe motoring, equipping new and learning drivers with training to be better-prepared, competent and safe drivers.
What are some of the areas I can expect to cover with a professional driving instructor?
- Understanding and applying the NSW Road Rules.
- Hazard Awareness Techniques, including the 'safety cushion' and safe following distance in traffic which is critical in preventing the most common crashes.
- Speed control and correct vehicle manoeuvring techniques.
- How to get the best out of the log book so that you can match your driving experience against the professional training you receive.
- Learning to drive with the help of a professional driver trainer is a one-off cost and cheaper in the long run. Driving safely and responsibly will help keep your car insurance premiums to a minimum.
How many lessons would I need before I can take the driving test for a Provisional (P1) examination?
Everyone learns differently and at a different pace. Your driving instructor will assess your driving skills and knowledge, and provide you with an individualised driving program to help you obtain your P1 licence.
As a guide, a learner driver can take between 8 and 16 driving lessons before they progress to the examination stage and proceed to non-supervised driving.
Should I have driving lessons with a professional driving instructor before doing my driving test?
It may be beneficial for you to have lessons with a professional driving instructor at various stages during your leaner driver process, and more experience is always better.
Lessons with a professional driving instructor spread throughout the learning period are more beneficial than a couple just before the driving test.
I would like to get my P1 licence as soon as possible. How do I get started?
If you are 16 years old or older and have passed your Driver Knowledge Test you can begin driving under supervision with a holder of a full and current Australian driver licence, which includes a professional driving instructor.
If you are aged between 16 - 24 years of age, you will receive a Learner Driver Log Book, so that you and your supervising driver/s can record your driving experience.
If you are aged 17 years or older, you are eligible to attempt the NSW Driving Test if you have logged at least 120 hours driving time (which includes 20 hours of night driving), and have held your learner licence for at least 12 months. If you pass, you will be issued your provisional P1 licence.
Please refer to the Roads and Maritime Service's A Guide to the Driving Test for more information on what you need to do before the test and what you will be tested on. Roads and Maritime Service's A Guide to the Driving Test
If you would like to get started on professional, customised, safe and affordable driving lessons,
contact Driven to Drive on 0416 321 572 or email:
Driven to Drive - L to P, we'll get you there.
Fully and currently accredited with the NSW Driver Trainers Association, which is the leading representative body of professional driving instructors in NSW.